Inspired by the tanzanite gemstone, Ferris Wheel Press's Tanzanite Sky fountain pen ink is a deep purple ink with blue undertones. While natural tanzanite is a lighter purple, the darker hue of this ink makes it stand out. It's good for professional ink, and it's also pretty enough to decorate your journal, or use for correspondence as well. This ink can do it all. Check out this rich purple ink.
- LAMY AL-star with medium steel nib
- Rhodia No. 16 dot pad, 80g white paper
- Tomoé River 52 gsm white paper
- Leuchtturm1917 80g notebook
Smear Test (Dry Time):
- 30 seconds – Unlike some other inks from Ferris Wheel Press, this ink was still wet after 30 seconds. It didn't feel very wet while writing, but it took longer to dry than I anticipated.
Drip Test (Water Resistance):
- Low – While some ink lines are left over if it gets wet, this is not a water resistant ink.
- Medium – You can see a difference between the swabs 1 and 3 above, but not real difference between swabs 2 and 3.
Ease of Cleaning:
- High – Like most darker inks, this might need an extra flush or two, but overall this was an easy to clean ink, from both pen and fingers!
- Low – Given the dark nature of this ink, there is no shading.
- High – This is a pretty wet ink, and writing quickly concerned me it was going to smear.
Packaging and Aesthetics:
- This ink comes in a 38ml glass bottle is inspired by the pocket watch, with its stunning jewelry-inspired silhouette. It is completed with its signature hexagonal brass cap, and an air-tight secure cap locking mechanism to prevent leaks. Each bottle features custom (and varying) artwork, and a label on the back to indicate the ink color.
If you're interested in similar colors, check out our Swab Shop where you can compare colors side by side.
Overall, this was a perfectly fine ink to use. It's not got a lot of extra characteristics, such as shimmer or shading, but it's going to look great pretty much everywhere you want to use it! There's a hint of sheen here and there, but it's very sublte. Tanzanite Sky on the darker side, flows well, doesn't clog your pen, and comes in a pretty package. If you like purples, but are looking for something that's a bit more rich, this is a nice ink to try.