Aurora Blue/Black: Ink Review
Aurora Blue/Black ink is considered to be the most accurate blend of blue and black. While some might say this is a boring ink, we disagree. The true blend of blue and black shines off the page. We love it and think you will too, so read more.
- LAMY AL-star with medium steel nib (also EF and B nib)
- Rhodia No. 16 dotpad, 80g white paper
- Tomoé River cream paper
- Moleskine notebook
Smear Test (Dry Time):
- 30+ – If you're looking to take quick notes, be aware of the slightly longer dry time. For taking notes at your desk, or signing paperwork, we don't see it being a problem.
Drip Test (Water Resistance):
- Low – This ink gets messy when it comes in contact with water. I'd be careful if using it on your desk with drinks nearby.
- Medium – You can see a slight difference between swabs 1 and 2, but between 2 and 3 there's really no difference. As you can see, it's a really great blend of blue and black.
Ease of Cleaning:
- Medium – Darker inks take a bit more work to clean out of your pen, but it didn't require a lot of extra effort.
- Medium – You could see shading with the medium nib, and the red sheen is beautiful especially when using this ink on Tomoe River paper!
- Medium – This ink flowed really nicely. It would be fantastic for everyday use.
Packaging and Aesthetics:
- Comes in a 45ml glass bottle
- Tall, slender bottle which should be easy to fill from. It could, however, be difficult when ink is running low.
Inks Similar in Color:
It would be the perfect ink to use in a professional work setting, or when needing to sign formal documents. It's nice to have something a bit different from your traditional blue or black ink. WeI love that this ink will pop off the page in contrast to black text in a book or alongside black text in a printed document. You can rest assured that this ink won't damage your pens, so that offers a lot of peace of mind. Plus, if you're using the right paper, you can get some beautiful red sheen!
You can find a 45ml bottle of Aurora Blue/Black or a 2ml sample.