Originally from the Jentle line, Sailor fountain pen ink, Shikiori Tokiwa-matsu, has returned! This ink is a notable Sailor color with a soft green hue and a natural movement from light to dark green as ink pools onto paper. "Tokiwa-matsu" translates to evergreen pine, perfectly embodying this ink's aura. Read our full review below!
- LAMY AL-star with medium steel nib
- Rhodia No. 16 dot pad, 80g white paper
- Tomoé River 52 gsm white paper
- Leuchtturm1917 80g notebook
Smear Test (Dry Time):
- 5 seconds – Tokiwa-matsu dries quickly on Rhodia and Leuchtturm1917 paper, but on Tomoe River, the dry time is longer. When drying on Tomoe River paper, you'll also see a beautiful green turn into a darker shade with a red sheen.
Drip Test (Water Resistance):
- Low – Tokiwa-matsu is not a water resistant fountain pen ink, and water dilutes the color easily.
- Medium/High – There is a slight difference between swabs 1 and 3 which does lend to the mild shading, but the ink is well-balanced and nicely saturated.
Ease of Cleaning:
- Medium – Think ink isn't difficult to clean from your pen at all. Because it isn't waterproof, the slightly higher saturation and dark color mean you may need an extra minute to flush it out.
- Medium – Shading is present, but it's a smooth transition to the darker shades.
- Medium/High – This is one of Sailor's darker colors, and most of those in the Shikiori line flow nice and wet. It was a comfortable ink to use in the LAMY medium nib.
Packaging and Aesthetics:
- The Shikiori line comes in a gorgeous glass bottle with a gold-colored faceted cap. The labels feature a calming pattern on the front, clearly marked with the color's name.
If you're interested in similar colors, check out our Swab Shop where you can compare shades side by side.
Shikiori Tokiwa-matsu is a calming sage color with a subtle red sheen. This subdued ink is easy to clean and remove from paper if any mistakes are made. If you're looking for a calming, nature-inspired color, this is the ink for you!