Sailor Manyo Hinoki fountain pen ink is a soft gray-green color with purple highlights that showcases many different properties. With more ink on the page, you get more purple, although it isn't just one color. Part of the popular Manyo series, this Hinoki is delicate but certainly has some personality. Read more about what we love about this ink.
- LAMY AL-star with medium steel nib
- Rhodia No. 16 dot pad, 80g white paper
- Tomoé River 52 gsm white paper
- Leuchtturm1917 80g notebook
Smear Test (Dry Time):
- 5 seconds – Hinoki has a speedy dry time, and its light coloration definitely correlates with this.
Drip Test (Water Resistance):
- Low –This ink is borderline erasable! The water droplets completely removed the ink, while the smear turned it into a beautiful mess.
- Low– There are distinct differences between all three swabs used for this test. This ink has a lot of shade variation to offer, depending on the fountain pens and accessories used.
Ease of Cleaning:
- Easy – Easy come, easy go! This was not a hard ink to clean from the pen or our hands!
- High – With the proper nib and paper, you get a beautiful shading effect that feels soft, unobtrusive, and pleasing to the eye.
- Low – These lightly-colored Sailor inks are all quite dry. Hinoki is on the bleeding edge of what some will find acceptable for a smaller nib.
Packaging and Aesthetics:
- Like all the Manyo inks, this bottle is square-shaped with a mouth large enough to fit most fountain pens in for filling.
If you're interested in similar colors, check out our Swab Shop, where you can compare shades side by side.
Sailor Manyo Hinoki fountain pen ink is a muted, gray-green hue. You can see some purple highlights with more ink on the page. This quick-drying ink would be an excellent watercolor medium or perfect for writing quick notes or lists.