Each year Pelikan Edelstein introduces an ink of the year to match its pen of the year. Rose Quartz is the 2023 Ink of the Year. This is a brighter pink ink with a bit of a cool undertone, and good shading. Read more to see what we think about it!
- LAMY AL-star with medium steel nib (also EF and B nib)
- Rhodia No. 16 dot pad, 80g white paper
- Tomoé River 52 gsm white paper
- Leuchtturm1917 80g notebook
Smear Test (Dry Time):
- 30+ seconds – This ink is wet! The ink has a good flow, but on each type of paper tested, it took at least 20-30 seconds before it did not smear when touched. If you have time to wait, it's great, but if you're going to be writing in a hurry, you might want to consider a different ink.
Drip Test (Water Resistance):
- Low – If you're looking for good waterproof pink ink, this is not one we'd recommend. This ink almost disappeared immediately when performing the water resistance test. You can still see a faint line, but if you are unsure about being able to keep your writing dry, this is not an ink we'd recommend using.
- Medium – This ink is pretty saturated with just one pass of ink- multiple layers don't do much to increase the opacity. However, on swabs 2 and 3, the ink has a slight purple undertone, especially at the edges. It's dark enough that it shows up on white paper, even in an EF nib, but it's not a dark pink ink.
- Low – There is a little bit of shading to the ink when writing, especially with larger nib sizes, but overall this is a pretty straightforward ink.
- Wet – This ink flows regardless of the pen or ink we tried. It's a nice, wet ink, that gives your pen the exact right amount of ink on the nib to create a smooth unbroken line.
Packaging and Aesthetics:
- The large opening on the bottle makes it easy to fill any type of pen we tried out.
If you're interested in similar colors, check out our Swab Shop where you can compare colors side by side.
Overall, this is a pretty straightforward pink ink. It has a slightly cool undertone, with some purplish hues noticeable with heavier applications of the ink. It's a fun bright color, with minimal shading, no sheen, and no shimmer. The biggest standout was the fact that it was such a wet ink. This ink was a gusher with every nib size we tried out. If you're looking for a nice wet ink to flow in any pen you have, this is an ink you should check out.