According to Noodler's, this ink was created to combat feathering on cheap paper. It has some other interesting qualities too, like water resistance. Read on to discover more!
- LAMY Al-star with medium steel nib (also EF and B nib)
- Rhodia No. 16 dotpad, 80g white paper
- Tomoé River white paper
- Moleskine notebook
Smear Test (Dry Time):
- Slow– This is not a quick drying ink! It took over 30 seconds for it to dry. This is something to keep in mind if you are planning on using it for its water-resistant property. Until it's dry, you will see some smearing. Wait a while before applying water!
Drip Test (Water Resistance):
- High-Despite the long dry time, when left alone, this ink does become very permanent. The creator of Noodler's bills this as one of his "bullet-proof" inks, meaning it is virtually impossible to erase or remove.
- High-No difference at all in the swabs! The first line is just as dark as the last.
Ease of Cleaning:
- Difficult– I found that because of its dark hue and other properties, I had to give the pen a little more attention when cleaning it. A few more rinses, a toothbrush, and you should be good!
- Low– No shading here at all.
- Dry– Woo! This is a dry one. I think that it must have something to do with the anti-feathering properties. It made the usually smooth LAMY nib have some feedback. It wasn't a feeling I was used to!
Packaging and Aesthetics:
- 3oz utilitarian bottle with 2ml ink samples available
- The bottle has a large round opening, making it easy to fill your fountain pen
- The label is really interesting!
Ink Similar in Color:
This is an incredibly interesting ink with remarkable properties. In terms of its anti-feathering properties, it held up against even the dubious paper quality of the Moleskine notebook. It is still water based, so we can't guarantee that it won't ever feather, but it's your best bet if you are in a situation where you can't control the paper quality. It's an ink that could be good for any situation- work, school, journaling, art, you name it!
You can find Noodler's X-Feather Black in a 3oz bottle, 4.5oz bottle, or 2ml ink sample.