Jacques Herbin 1798 Amethyste de l'Oural fountain pen ink is a deep rich purple in the velvety hue of an amethyst gemstone. Silver shimmering particles provide a lustrous shimmering and sheen effect. This ink is well behaved, and will add a little pizzaz to your next letter or journaling session. Read on to see what else we have to say about this lovely ink.
- Kakimori nib with Sakura nib holder
- Rhodia No. 16 dot pad, 80g white paper
- Tomoé River 52 gsm white paper
- Leuchtturm1917 80g notebook
Smear Test (Dry Time):
- 30+ seconds – This ink flows really well, and has a lot of saturation. But it's also very slow to dry.
Drip Test (Water Resistance):
- Low-Medium – As you can see on the drip test, it's obvious where the water was dripped, but the lines have not completely disapeared. It was also really easy to use when drawing to add some lighter hues to just add a little water to the line to make it run.
- High – You can see a little difference between swab 1 and 2, but there's very little difference between swabs 2-3.
Ease of Cleaning:
- Medium – Like all shimmer inks, this one will take a little work to get all the shimmering particles out of your feed. But, the purple ink is easy to clean from your pen or your hands.
- Low – This ink can appear pretty dark especially with larger nib sizes so there's not much room for shading to show up.
- Medium-High – Amethyste de l'Oural is a very wet ink. There were no issues with writing with a variety of nib sizes.
Packaging and Aesthetics:
- Each bottle cap is hand dipped in sealing wax, with a stamped "1798" seal on the front of the square bottle, and is individually packaged in a collector edition box. The cap opening is large enough to fill a fountain pen!
If you're interested in similar colors, check out our Swab Shop where you can compare colors side by side.
This ink is a real gem! Its beautiful shade of purple strikes a balance between elegance and professionalism. The subtle shimmering particles give it a touch of style without going overboard. Plus, it offers a smooth and consistent flow, ensuring a delightful writing experience from start to finish. We're absolutely impressed with this one!