Initially launched as part of the 2019 Diamine InkVent calendar and now a part of the regular Diamine Blue Edition collection, Diamine Polar Glow is a deep blue ink with a heavy sheen and touch of shading. Check out our impressions below!
- LAMY safari with medium steel nib
- Rhodia No. 16 dot pad, 80g white paper
- Tomoé River 52 gsm white paper
- Leuchtturm1917 80g notebook
Smear Test (Dry Time):
- 20+ seconds – Polar Glow has a decently long dry time which really allows the sheen to show and while flow is good if you are jotting something down in a hurry you'll want to take care not to let it smear.
Drip Test (Water Resistance):
- Low – This ink is like many others out there in that it does not have any water resistance so it wouldn't be a great candidate if you expect to be out in the elements or used for line work in art. It could be useful for water washes as it lightens to a light turquoise but does not fully dissipate.
- Medium – The sheen really helps keep this ink deep blue with red-purple tones and you don't see much difference from swabs 1 to 3.
Ease of Cleaning:
- Medium-High – This ink is not water resistant and washes out pretty readily. You may experience slight staining on a lighter colored pen body though a little pen flush or soapy water should clean it up nicely.
- Low – This ink has lots of sheen but only a touch of shading. On Tomoe River you can see the shading best but on paper like Leuchtturm it is difficult to differentiate.
- Wet – Diamine is known for its wet writing inks and Polar Glow is no exception. It works well in every pen we tried it in and allows for a smoother writing experience.
Packaging and Aesthetics:
- The Diamine Blue edition inks have one of the best bottle designs we carry! With a not quite square shape and stout legs, this bottle has a very whimsical appearance great for display.
If you're interested in similar colors, check out our Swab Shop where you can compare colors side by side.
Overall, Diamine Polar Glow is a versatile ink that is a well behaved, sheen-heavy blue with turquoise hints and a touch of shading. It is a complex color with no shimmer and is not water-resistant. We suggest checking this out if you're looking for a gorgeous ink with lots of personality.