De Atramentis Purple Violet is about as close to a true purple as we've seen. This ink used to be called De Atramentis Magenta Violet, but the properties are the same!
- LAMY AL-star with medium steel nib (also EF and B nib)
- Rhodia No. 16 dotpad, 80g white paper
- Tomoé River white paper
- Moleskine notebook
Smear Test (Dry Time)
- Medium. This ink is not a fast drying ink. It was dry after about 25 seconds.
Drip Test (Water Resistance)
- Low. This ink offers no water resistance, so if you were to spill coffee or water on your paper, it won't hold up well.
- If water resistance is something you're looking for, this may not be the ink for you. However, when the ink gets wet, you see more of the pink stand out which could make it fun to use as an inkwash!
- Medium. It's pretty mild, but when the ink is used in a pen, you'll still see a vibrant color.
Ease of Cleaning
- Easy.- This ink super easy to clean.
- Low. This ink has minimal shading, however it is a rich purple with a hint of pink. This makes it unique among other purple inks.
- Medium.- It was wet and easy to write with, without gushing all over the page.
Packaging and Aesthetic
- 35 ml bottle
- Nice bottle, but does not come with a box
Inks similar in color
If you're looking to add a rich, low maintenance purple ink to your collection, we definitely recommend checking out De Atramentis Purple Violet.