Field Notes' Spring 2020 quarterly limited edition (the 46th Edition) features a 3-Pack of graph paper journals with covers that you can customize!
From Field Notes:
Our Quarterly release for the Spring of 2020 is the “Vignette” Edition. The graph paper Memo Books in these 3-Packs feature a clever die-cut pocket that allows you to include your own image — any image — as an integrated part of the cover design. We’ve noticed how people customize their Field Notes covers with a sticker, title, sketch, or stamp, so the “Vignette” Edition makes that sort of personalization quick and easy, resulting in a very slick finished product.
So really, the “theme” of these books is completely up to you. Maybe it’s a photo of your crew, your kids, or your pup? Possibly a screen grab from your favorite movie, cartoon, or tv show? Will it be artwork by a famous artist, or by your not-yet-famous toddler? A team logo, vacation selfie, literary hero, pop star… or just that sweet photo you took of the full moon, shining through the branches of the bare oak out by the tree line. Yeah, that’d work great.
Two stippled “Charcoal Gray” books and one super-bright “Terra Green” book make up each 3-Pack. We’ve also included a set of Field Notes-themed insert cards for you to play around with, to see how the “Vignette” personalization system works. But after you try those out, get to work on your own. Because that’s what this release is really all about.
To that end, there’s a tool in each pack to frame and crop existing images (or fabric samples, maps, anything flat, really) to the proper size. We’ve also made a simple web app to shoot, adapt, share, and print your own personal digital photos, as “vignettes.” We can’t wait to see how you personalize these, and re-personalize them over and over. Please share your customizations on social media with the tag #myownfieldnotes and we’ll feature them.
The process of designing and manufacturing these books was a fun challenge, but the most exciting part of this Quarterly Edition is knowing that they’re not quite finished yet. We’ve left that last step entirely up to you.
- Proudly printed and bound by the good people of eDOC Communications, Mount Prospect, Ill. and die-cut by Platinum Converting, Itasca, Ill.
- Covers: Neenah Classic Textures “Charcoal” Stipple and Astrobrights “Terra Green” 80#C with “Silver Emulsion” and “Neutral Gray” soy-based Toyo inks.
- Innards: Finch Paper Opaque Smooth 60#T “Bright White,” with a fine, 1-color application of “Silver Emulsion” soy-based Toyo ink.
- Printed on a Heidelberg Speedmaster XL 105 40" 6-color printing press.
- Bound with a Heidelberg Stitchmaster ST 270 5-pocket saddle stitcher with cover feeder/scorer and Rima RS 10S in-line stacker, with appreciation to Samuel Slocum, George W. McGill, and William J. Brown, the “Founding Fathers of the Staple.”
- Corners rounded to 3/8" (9.5mm) radius with a Challenge DCM double round-corner machine.
- Graph grid: 3/16" × 3/16" (4.7mm × 4.7mm).
- Memo book dimensions are 3-1/2" × 5-1/2" (89mm × 140mm).
- FIELD NOTES uses only the Futura typeface family (Paul Renner, 1927) in its materials.
- All FIELD NOTES memo books are printed and manufactured in the U.S.A.
- Field Notes
- Black, Green
- Thickness - Overall
How thick the notebook is from front to back, including the cover.
- Size - Overall
The general international paper size, including options such as A4, A5, B5, Pocket, etc. Click here to read our guide on paper sizes.
- Binding Orientation
- Binding Type
- Cover Material
- Coated Paper
- Cover Thickness
- Paper Color
- Paper Weight
- Sheet Count
The number of individual pieces of paper in the notebook (whereas pages refers to each side of a sheet). 1 sheet = 2 pages.
Whether or not the paper is micro-perforated and designed to be removed from the notebook. Options include None, Some, or All pages.
- Height (in)
- Height (mm)
- Width (in)
- Width (mm)
- Line Spacing
- Ruling Type