Field Notes' Winter 2020 quarterly limited edition (the 49th Edition) features a 3-Pack of dot-grid journals with black covers, each with a completely unique snowflake design.
From Field Notes:
We’ve limited this 49th Quarterly Edition to 33,333 3-Packs. Each Memo Book cover features a unique snowflake illustration rendered by our friend and co-conspirator, Brendan Dawes. Each snowflake is different, so every book is different, and so for the first time in a Quarterly Edition – we’ve individually numbered each book.
Inspired by the physics behind how ice crystals are formed in the atmosphere, Brendan crafted an algorithm that produced and rendered 99,999 lovely snowflake illustrations. (Read the whole story here). With the expertise of our partners at Lake County Press, the covers were printed over the course of five days on a next-generation digital press with white ink on “Deep Blue” Mohawk Carnival Vellum 80# cover. The Finch Opaque inside pages feature a special light-blue-gray dot-graph pattern. The books are bound with glossy white staples, and we don’t generally talk much about the “belly bands” that hold 3-Packs together, but this one is arguably our most handsome to date.
While creating this edition, it occurred to us that, like snowflakes, every Field Notes Memo Book is different. This time, that’s literally true. But what makes each book truly unique are the notes we write to ourselves on its 48 pages.
- 99,999 Unique snowflakes created using a generative process designed by Brendan Dawes (brendandawes.com).
- Proudly printed by the good people of Lake County Press, Inc., Waukegan, Ill.
- Cover: Mohawk Carnival Vellum 80#C “Deep Blue,” with white digital UV ink.
- Innards: Finch Paper Opaque Smooth 60#T “Bright White,” with a fine, 1-color application of “Night of Chill Blue” soy-based Toyo ink.
- Covers printed on a Hewlett-Packard Indigo 29" digital press. Innards printed on a Heidelberg Speedmaster 40" 2-color perfecting press.
- Bound with a Heidelberg Stitchmaster ST 270 5-pocket saddle stitcher with cover feeder/scorer & Rima RS 10S in-line stacker.
- Corners precisely rounded to a 3/8" (9.5mm) radius with a Challenge DCM double round-corner machine.
- Dot grid: 3/16" × 3/16" (4.7mm × 4.7mm).
- Memo book dimensions are 3-1/2" × 5-1/2" (89mm × 140mm).
- FIELD NOTES uses only the Futura typeface family (Paul Renner, 1927) in its materials.
- All FIELD NOTES memo books are printed and manufactured in the U.S.A.
- Field Notes
- Thickness - Overall
How thick the notebook is from front to back, including the cover.
- Size - Overall
The general international paper size, including options such as A4, A5, B5, Pocket, etc. Click here to read our guide on paper sizes.
- Binding Orientation
- Binding Type
- Cover Material
- Uncoated Paper
- Cover Thickness
- Paper Color
- Paper Weight
- Sheet Count
The number of individual pieces of paper in the notebook (whereas pages refers to each side of a sheet). 1 sheet = 2 pages.
Whether or not the paper is micro-perforated and designed to be removed from the notebook. Options include None, Some, or All pages.
- Height (in)
- Height (mm)
- Width (in)
- Width (mm)
- Line Spacing
- Ruling Type